Gulbarga is the administrative headquarters of the Gulbarga district, which was initially a part of the state of Hyderabad, but was incorporated in Mysore State in 1956. Kannada is the official and most widely spoken language here. Gulbarga is famous for the production of Pigeon pea and Toor Daal and for its limestone deposits. The entire district is located in the Deccan Plateau. According to the data of the 2011 census, the population of the district is 2.5 million, out of which 42 percent belong to the working age group. 58 percent of them are employed in the agricultural sector, 2 percent in the household industry and 40 percent in services and industry. The history of Gulbarga can be traced back to the 6th century, marking the beginning of the rule of kingdoms such as Rashtrakutas, Chalukyas, Yadavas, Hoysalas, Kalachuris, Delhi and Bahmani Sultanates before coming under the control of the Mughals the 17th century. The Gulbarga Fort is an important heritage sight, originally built by Raja Gulchand and work was carried on later by Ala-ud-din Bahmani. Within the center of the fort, is a great mosque. The architecture of the city is largely Indo Saracenic. In Persian, Gul means flower and Barg means leaf, indicating a city of gardens and lavish living. The name was changed to “Kalaburagi” in November 2014, where Kal means “Stone and Buragi means “Fort” in Kannada.