Baramula is a city and a municipality in the Baramula district in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is on the bank of the Jhelum River downstream from Srinagar, the state capital. The city was earlier known as Varahamula which is Sanskrit for "boars molar". The total population of the city is 71,434.
The highest employment in the district is in Agro based, Repairing and servicing, Metal based, Textile based and Wood based industries. The district has 39% of the workforce employed in the Agricultural Sector, 56% in the Industrial Sector and the remaining 5% are Household workers.
The city of Baramula was founded by Raja Bhimsina in 2306 B.C. It was the gateway of Kashmir. There was a watch station at “Drang” (Present, Drangbal village). The visitors were received at this station. The famous Chinese visitor, Heiuntsang was also received here by Raja Darlubdurana, then king of Kashmir, in 631 A.D. This watch station existed upto the 19th century. Moorecraft, an English historian visited this station in 1823 A.D.
Baramula is as old as the valley of Kashmir. It is situated at a distance of 55 kms from the summer capital of Jammu & Kashmir State, in the north east of Srinagar. It is surrounded by mountains from three sides, which give this town an extra ordinary beautiful look. Baramula being the district headquarter comparises of 8 tahsils. The district has been divided in 12 Community Development Blocks, namely: Zaingeer, Sopore, Rafiabad, Pattan, Rohama, Kunzer, Singhpora, Baramulla, Wagura, Boniyar, Uri and Tangmarg.
Baramulla district is severe cold in winters and has a pleasant whether in summer. Annual rain fall in the district is usually registered 1270 mm. Soil in hilly areas is poor but in the plain areas it is fertile. The major agriculture & horticulture crops are Rice, maize, pulses, vegetables, apple, pear, apricot, peach, cherry and olive.
Baramulla city is located on the banks of Jhelum River, at the highest point of the river. The old town lies on the north (right) bank of the river and the new town lies on the south (left) bank. They are connected by five bridges including a suspension bridge connecting Gulnar park with Dewan Bagh.