Popularly known as Tiruchi / Trichy, this city is the administrative headquarter of the Tiruchirappalli district. Located almost at the geographic centre of the state, to the west of Kaveri delta, Tiruchirappalli has a total population of 8,50,000 where the majority speak Tamil. The literacy rate is 91%. According to the 2011 census, the total population of the district is 2.7 million, the literacy rate is 83% and 45 % is the total working age population. Out of this 45 percent are engaged in agriculture, 3 percent are involved in the household industry while 53 percent are engaged in industry and services. Prominent crops cultivated include finger millet and maize. Tiruchirappalli is a major engineering equipment manufacturing and fabrication hub in India and is known for gemstones cutting and polishing. During British rule, Tiruchirappalli emerged as one of the most important cities in India. According to the 1871 Indian census, the first in British India, Tiruchirappalli had a population of 76,530, making it the second largest city in the presidency after the capital of Madras. It was known for its tanneries, cigar manufacturing units and oil presses. Tiruchirappalli was the first headquarters for the newly formed South Indian Railway Company in 1874 until its relocation to Madras in the early 20th century. Earlier, the city was ruled by important kingdoms of the past: the Cholas, Pandayas, Pallavas, Vijaynagar Empire and Nayakas. During the Chola period, beautiful temples and fortresses were made in the Dravidian style - Ranganathaswamy Temple and Jambukeswarar Temple are often cited as the best examples of this style. The Rockfort temple built during the Pallava is the landmark of the city. Indias second Nobel laureate, C. V. Raman, was born in Tiruchirappalli. The city was the base for the Vedaranyam Salt March initiated by C. Rajagopalachari as a parallel to the Dandi March in 1930.