Udaipur, as part of the state of Rajasthan, is the 36th largest hindi speaking city of India with a total population of 4,50,000. Highest employment in Udaipur district is in the Construction, Electronics and Chemical Industries, and in handicrafts. Udaipur has 62% Agricultural workers, 35% workers in Industry and Services and 3% Household workers. The Eastern region of Udaipur District is a good agricultural belt, with vast stretches of fertile plains surrounded by Aravalli ranges from North to East. The city of Udaipur was founded in 1559 by Maharana Udai Singh II as the new capital of the Mewar kingdom, to be located in the fertile circular Girwa Valley to the southwest of Nagda, on the Banas River. Earlier, the thriving trading town of Ayad located in this region, had served as the capital of Mewar between the 10th and the 12th centuries. Ayad was flood-prone and with the emergence of sophisticated artillery warfare in the 16th century,Maharana Udai Singh II, decided to move his capital to a more secure location. He chose the current location of Udaipur, on the ridge east of Pichola Lake, where it is believed he had met a hermit while hunting in the foothills of the Aravalli Range. The hermit blessed the king and guided him to build a palace on that specific spot, assuring him that it would be well protected. In November 1567, the Mughal emperor Akbar had laid siege to the venerated fort of Chittor. In order to secure Udaipur further, Maharana Udai Singh built a six kilometre long city wall, with seven gates and the area within these walls and gates is still known as the old city or the walled city.