The settlement in Gandhidham began in 1947 after Indias partition primarily for the resettlement of refugees from Sindh, Pakistan. The Maharaja of Kutch at that time, Maharao Shri Vijayrajji Khengarji Jadeja, on the advice of Gandhiji gave 15,000 acres (61 km2) of land to Bhai Pratap, who founded the Sindhu Resettlement Corporation Ltd (SRC). The foundation stone of the town was laid with the blessings of Gandhi in 1947. Named after the father of the nation, Gandhidham, located in the eastern region of the Kutch district has a total population of 3,00,000. Gujarati is widely spoken in the city and the adjoining areas. Hindi is spoken to a lesser extent. According to the 2011 census, the total population of the district is 2.1 million out of which 37 percent constitute the working age population. Out of this group, 38 percent participate in the agriculture sector, one percent in the household industry and the bulk 61 participate in industry and services. Since the district lies in a semiarid region, agriculture is not the biggest employer. Crops such as millet, maize, wheat, cashew and groundnut are grown in the city and the surrounding areas. Gandhidham is a fast growing commercial city of the district. With Kandala port located in the Kutch district, Salt and timber industries, shipping, import and export play a vital role in sustaining the local economy.