Beawar is the 130th largest Hindi speaking city of India with a total population of 1,45,504. Beawar is a city in the Ajmer district of Rajasthan and the highest employment in the Ajmer district is in Agriculture, Textiles, Minerals and in the Construction and the Engineering industries. The district has 62% of the workforce employed in the Agricultural Sector, 35% in the Industrial Sector and the remaining 3% are Household workers. The region is a good Agricultural belt because of the availability of groundwater. The major crops produced in the district are Sorghum, Pulses, Mustard, Gram, Wheat, Barley, Cotton and fruits like Mango, Guava, Pomegranate and Lime. Beawar, the name of the city comes from the name "Be Aware" which was originally a sign given to the city by a British Emperor. Beawar was founded by Colonel Charles George Dixon (1795-1857) in 1836. Beawar was part of British India and the administrative headquarters of Merwara district. Since the ancient days, the region where Beawar lies is called Magra-Merwaran, and it was named after a local village called Beawar Khas by the British. This region was ruled by fierce tribes such as the Kathat (Chouhan Rajput, the descendants of Prithviraj Chouhan) and Rawat Rajputs (also offshoot of the same family as the Kathats but still following their ancestral religion Hinduism). British tried to subdue them but were unsuccessful because the tribes were scattered across many small villages and they were excellent in conducting guerrilla warfare. The Battle of Shyamgarh was fought between the Kathats and British. The British won and Kathats abandoned the fort of Shyamgarh, but employed guerilla tactics causing great loss to the British. So British founded a military cantonment with fortified walls for protection and further military missions. Another factor involved in building the cantonment here was Beawars location at the strategic tri-junction of the royal states of Jaipur, Jodhpur, and Udaipur.