Tumkur is the 145th most populous city of India with a total population of 3,02,143. Highest employment in the Tumkur district is in the sectors of Agriculture, Metal, Paper, Readymade garments, Wooden furniture and other household industries. 63% of the workforce is employed in the Agricultural Sector, 33% in the Industrial Sector and the remaining 4% are Household workers. The major exportable items are Industrial Filters, Automobile filters, Gherkin, Transformer & Radiators, Inverter UPS & PCB, Springs etc. Pennar, Lower Cauvery and Lower Tungabhadra drain the district. The major crops cultivated are Oilseeds, Paddy, Ragi, Groundnut, Fruits, Vegetables, Sugarcane etc. The known history of the Tumkur district begins with the Gangas. The Ganga family ruled over the southern and eastern districts of the state from early in the Christian era to 1025 AD. After the Gangas, Tumkur was ruled by the Rashtrakutas and the Chalukyas. The Cholas also ruled some parts of the District. The Vijayanagara Empire ruled supreme for the latter part of the 13th to 17th century. During 18th and 19th century, Tumkur was ruled by the Wodeyars of Mysore until independence. The city was officially renamed "Tumakuru" on November 1, 2014.