Surrounded by hills and green paddy fields, Nagercoil or “The temple of the Nagas” is located at an elevation of 130 feet and is part of the Kanyakumari district. The city has a population of 2,25,000, a literacy rate of 95% and the most widely spoken language is Tamil. After Indias independence, Nagercoil was part of the State of Travancore before being merged into Tamil Nadu in 1956. The district has a total population of 1.8 million, with a literacy rate of 91% and with the second largest rate of urbanization at 82 percent amongst the districts of Tamil Nadu. 36 percent of the districts population belongs to the working age. 13 percent are engaged in the agriculture sector, 5 percent in the household industry and the bulk 82 percent are employed in industry and services. There are a number of small, medium and large industries in the areas like mining, rubber, fishing net manufacturing, coir making, fishing, handloom, lace making, food processing, floral trade and supply of agricultural products. The city is an important traditional and cultural hub of Tamil Nadu, and some of the prominent sights are Nagaraja Temple, Nagercoil Clock Tower and St. Xaviers Church. Nagercoil was part of the great kingdoms of the south including the Cheras, Cholas and Pandayas.