Lalitpur is the 141st largest Hindi speaking city of India with a total population of 1,33,305. Highest employment in Lalitpur is in the sectors of agriculture, readymade garments, wooden furniture, engineering and household industries. 79% of the workforce is employed in the Agricultural Sector, 18% in the Industrial Sector and the remaining 3% are Household workers. Lalitpur district is a part of Bundelkhand division. The district has four major rivers Betwa, Jamni and Shahzad. Economy of the district is mainly based on agriculture. The district suffers from drought or flood consistently due to which there is low and unstable agricultural production and consequently the farmers are under financial stress. Cereals like Paddy, Wheat, Jowar, and pulses like Urd, Masoor, Gram, Peas and oil seeds are the main crops. The district has significant contribution in production of oilseeds and pulses. Drought tolerant fruit crops like Citrus, Aonla, Ber, Guava are of special importance for Lalitpur district. The territory of the present-day Lalitpur district was part of the state of Chanderi, founded in the 17th century by a Bundela Rajput who was descended from Rudra Pratap Singh of Orchha. Chanderi, along with most of Bundelkhand, came under Maratha hegemony in the 18th century. Daulat Rao Scindhia of neighboring Gwalior annexed Chanderi state in 1812. In 1844, the former state of Chanderi was ceded to the British, and became the Chanderi District of British India, with Lalitpur town as the district headquarters. The British lost the district in the Indian Rebellion of 1857, and it was not reconquered until late 1858. In 1861, the portion of the district west of the Betwa, including Chanderi, was returned to Gwalior state, and the remainder was renamed Lalitpur district. It became a part of Jhansi district from 1891 to 1974. In 1974, the district was carved out from Jhansi district.