Pilibhit is the 146th largest Hindi speaking city of India with a total population of 1,27,988. Highest employment in Pilibhit is in the sectors of agriculture, readymade garments, wooden furniture, engineering and household industries. 71% of the workforce is employed in the Agricultural Sector, 25% in the Industrial Sector and the remaining 4% are Household workers. Pilibhit is the north-eastern district of Rohilkhand division, situated in the sub-Himalayan belt on the boundary of Nepal. Major crops grown in the district are paddy, wheat and sugarcane covering 40%, 38% and 20% of the gross cultivated area, respectively. The other crops raised in the district are Maize, Bajra, Pulses (Urad, Gram, Masoor), Oilseed (Mustard, Tilhan) and vegetables. Since the district falls in the Tarai and has one major river Sharda flowing through the district, the irrigation facility in the district is sufficient. It is believed by locals that Pilibhit was ruled by an ancient king named Mayurdhwaj or Moredhwaj or King Venu, a great devotee of Lord Krishna and a loyal friend of Arjun. King Venus name and the geography of his kingdom can be traced in the Hindu epic Mahabharat. The city Pilibhit was an administrative unit in the Mughal era under Bareilly suba. For security, the Mughal Subedar Ali Mohammed Khan constructed four magnificent gates around the administrative building in 1734 AD. Because of a lack of proper maintenance, all the gates have been lost; only their ruins remain. The last king of the Shah dynasty of Doti, Nepal, Prithivipati Shah, was sheltered in Pilibhit by the ruler of Rampur suba, Faizullah Khan in 1789 AD, after being attacked by the Gorakha king of Nepal.